Installing Git for Windows
- Download git for windows
- Run the downloaded installer and pay attention to the following settings
- You may prefer installing the git context menu, but I like to keep things simple so I just unchecked it
- Choose “Use Git from the Windows command prompt”
- Choose “Checkout windows-style, commit Unix-style line endings”
Installing SSH tools
The most common SSH windows utilities are the ones coming with Putty.
Downloading Putty binaries
First you need to go to Putty binaries repository and download the following resources:
Generating SSH keys
If you don’t have a SSH public/private key pair you can generate it using the puttygen utility.
From now on I’ll use %USER_HOME% whenever I refer to your Windows user home folder, which depending on your Windows version may be located in:
|Windows XP||C:\Documents and Settings\vlad|
|Windows 7 and later||C:\Users\vlad|
You need to create a %USER_HOME%.ssh folder to store your SSH private key.
- Open puttygen and click Generate
- Copy the public key to clipboard
- Go to your GitHub account, open the Account settings menu and navigate to the SSH Keys section. There you need to paste your public key
- Add a strong key passphrase for securing your private key usage and click “Save the private key”. You need to save it to the %USER_HOME%\.ssh folder.
You should now have a %USER_HOME%\.ssh\github-rsa.ppk file.
Setting up the SSH agent
- Create a shortcut of pagent.exe and save it in the Startup folder. (e.g. For WindowsXp %USER_HOME%%\%Start Menu\Programs\Startup).
In Windows 10, you can access the Startup folder associated to your user account under this path:
Make sure the shortcut’s target contains the path to your key as well.
- Run pagent and it should go to your System Tray
- Double-click the pagent System Tray icon
- Make sure the %USER_HOME%\.ssh\github-rsa.ppk private key is listed
- Go to environment variables and add the GIT_SSH variable to reference the plink.exe system path.
First you need to establish a Plink connection, to make sure the SSH authentication works:
D:\kits\Putty>plink.exe -v firstname.lastname@example.org Looking up host "github.com" Connecting to 220.127.116.11 port 22 Server version: SSH-2.0-libssh-0.6.0 Using SSH protocol version 2 We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.63 Using Diffie-Hellman with standard group "group14" Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange with hash SHA-1 Host key fingerprint is: ssh-rsa 2048 16:27:ac:a5:76:28:2d:36:63:1b:56:4d:eb:df:a6:48 Initialised AES-256 SDCTR client->server encryption Initialised HMAC-SHA-256 client->server MAC algorithm Initialised AES-256 SDCTR server->client encryption Initialised HMAC-SHA-256 server->client MAC algorithm Pageant is running. Requesting keys. Pageant has 1 SSH-2 keys Using username "git". Trying Pageant key #0 Authenticating with public key "artsoft96" from agent Sending Pageant's response Access granted Opening session as main channel Opened main channel Server refused to allocate pty Started a shell/command Server sent command exit status 1 Hi vladmihalcea! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access. Disconnected: All channels closed
Now clone one of you GitHub repositories and play with git. You shouldn’t be asked for your username/password.
D:\vlad\GitHub>git clone email@example.com:vladmihalcea/db-util.git Cloning into 'db-util'... remote: Reusing existing pack: 213, done. remote: Total 213 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0) Receiving objects: 100% (213/213), 150.94 KiB | 97.00 KiB/s, done. Resolving deltas: 100% (86/86), done. Checking connectivity... done. D:\vlad\GitHub>cd db-util D:\vlad\GitHub\db-util>git commit -a -m "Change developer id to author" [master 93ee2bf] Change developer id to author 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-) D:\vlad\GitHub\db-util>git push Counting objects: 7, done. Delta compression using up to 2 threads. Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done. Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 337 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done. Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0) To firstname.lastname@example.org:vladmihalcea/db-util.git 21e9c0e..93ee2bf master -> master